Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sketches of Fishtown # 83 - Wes Mattheu & the New Way Down

I've heard this band live several times. Being a fan of a mixed bag of music, I really like their stuff. It has a great old tymie country feel, but they also hoot and holler with a lot of energy.

I see Wes around the neighborhood all the time. We bump into each other a lot at Murph's Bar (202 E, Girard Ave. in Fishtown). Wes is a good guy with a big heart and a genuine love for songwriting and all kinds of music. Making this issue was a bit of a marathon. I took the photo reference last night, then worked on the pencils while watching Game 5 of the World Series. I continued to the inks until about 3 AM, then got up and finished the piece at 8AM for an 11AM deadline for the Spirit. The original drawing was done on 11" x 14" bristol board using a Kuretake brush pen and microns. Because we wanted to get this one out to promote Friday's show, I had to get it in the paper this week. I'm glad I did. It was a nice little challenge for the beginning of my week. Whew!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is a sweet drawing brother