Monday, March 12, 2012

Norris Street MixTape: "The Beast In Me"


On June 16, I have an opening for an art show based entirely on some of my favorite songs and song lyrics. Music is a huge part of my cartooning. I would have to admit that I get a lot more inspiration from music than I do visual art - because I can draw and listen to music at the same time. It gives my hand a rhythm. I hope to have at least 30 pieces in the show. There will also be limited edition screen print and giclee prints for sale. Plus I will be giving away free crazy mixed CDs with each purchase. I will post progress on these pieces through these coming months. I want to keep the originals fairly small in size, so the art is affordable to working class people.


The working title of the show is called "Norris Street MixTape". My Dad always had music on in our house when I was a kid. So I figure this all starts there on Norris Street. This is the first piece I started for it, but I am going to add color, and I will probably turn it into a large screen print to sell at the show. I drew it in my Moleskine. It's based on Nick Lowe's awesome song, "The Beast In Me", which he wrote for his then father-in-law Johnny Cash. Cash recorded it on his first album with Rick Rubin, "American Recordings". That is hands-down the best version of the song. It's my favorite Johnny Cash song.



Masthead is an awesome gallery and print studio, run by Shawn Hilemen. It's a really great space located at 340 Brown Street (near the corner of 4th & Brown) in Northern Liberties. http://mastheadprintstudio.com/

No comments: